Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Assumptions 101

I heard a quote the other day that went something like this:
 "If you try to be like everyone else, you'll end up being like everyone else.  But the problem is that everyone else is miserable, broke and divorced."

I'm guilty of trying to be like everyone else more often than I'd like to admit.  I think it's mostly because I'm afraid to be different. So, what am I afraid of?

I think many of us are afraid that someone will think we're weird, or quirky, or annoying.  But maybe, just maybe, someone may think we're fun, encouraging and energetic.

We, too often, let our assumptions lean toward the negative side of the fence.  I think we should try to start framing them with more reality and less pessimism.

When we're trying something new, assume that we're going to love it.  When we're meeting new people, assume that we're going to be great friends.

Try assuming the positive and see what happens!