Monday, November 14, 2011

Parking in the handicap spot

I've seen three people do this in the last two weeks and it makes me mad.  If you're doing it, you make me mad.  I'll be blunt.  You're lazy.

But then I realize, so am I.

No, I don't park in handicap spots.  But, I am guilty of being lazy in another way.  I have a computer sitting in my house that I'm sure could help someone.  I have a working microwave in my garage.  I have a used stove sitting right next to that microwave.  I have old coats in the attic that I haven't worn in two years.  And I'm too lazy to do something about it.

It's a major inconvenience for someone to live without a stove or warm coat, much like it is for a handicapped person to have to find a parking spot because the ones reserved for them have been taken by perfectly capable folks.

So while I get angry at people for parking in the wrong spot (and rightfully so), to avoid being a hypocrite, I have to admit that I'm no better.  I'm no different.

Here's the challenge: if you're parking in the handicap spots, stop it.  Don't be lazy.  Save them for the people that actually need them.  And I will, with the help of someone like Heidi, make sure that I stop being lazy and find a good home for the things that have been sitting around my house collecting dust.

[If you want to know more about what Heidi is doing, please contact her or myself and we can fill you in.]