Wednesday, December 21, 2011

My Christmas Wishlist

I know you didn't ask, but I'm going to tell you anyway.  This is a list of what I truly want for Christmas:
  • I want us to help out when we see someone struggling.  It may mean a handshake, a simple meal or donating some clothing.  Just do something.
  • I want families to stop yelling at each other.  It's just not worth it.
  • I want parents to listen when their kids talk.  It's just worth it.
  • I want us to be passionate and inspired about the things we truly care about... and do something about it
  • I want us to forget about everything that has us stressed out for a day... an hour... the length of a conversation... whatever you can do.
  • I want us to realize that feeding a homeless man is more important than upgrading our cell phone... again
  • I want us to learn more from our children; they have so much to teach us
  • I want us to evaluate whether our motives are pure, and stop what we're doing if they're not
  • I want us to realize how blessed we truly are and stop pretending that our lives are so hard; it's insulting to those whose lives are actually hard
  • I want us to take some quiet time this Christmas and just do nothing but breathe
  • I want you to make your own Wishlist
  • I want you to read this list and pick a few things that you're good at and pat yourself on the back
  • I want you to read this list and pick a few things that you're bad at and try to get better
I think it's time that we stop saying that we want Christmas to truly be a time of family gatherings and being thankful for what the day actually means and start making it that way.  Christmas isn't going to just miraculously get less busy, less stressful and less hectic.  But, the good news is that we can choose to make it that way.  I pray that your Christmas is a calming, refreshing time where you can connect with those you've lost touch with and grow closer to those that are close. 

[Oh, one last thing.  If you don't mind, share this post (there are buttons below the post that allow you to share it directly to Facebook, Twitter, Email, etc.).  Thanks!]