Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why do we love faces so much?

She left for Haiti yesterday and I found something out very quickly.  She's tough to be away from.  A long, emotional day ended right here, at my desk, with a lot on my mind and more on my heart.  And then it happened...

The moment her face popped onto my screen in the Skype window my day changed.  I had heard her voice several times throughout the day, but seeing her face changed things.  Why is that?  What made it so much deeper?

There's truth in a smile... or not.  But either way you can see it.  This is one of the main reasons that it's so important for us to actually spend time with each other.  To look each other in the eye.  Sure, social media is convenient and it's a great way to meet new people.  But there's a big difference between meeting people and knowing people.

If you really want to know someone, you have to look them in the eye.  It's true for our business partners, our colleagues, our spouses and our children.

Call your kids.  Post on your spouses Facebook page.  Text your best friend.  But at the end of the day, you don't really know what's in their heart until you look them in the eye.