Friday, March 16, 2012

How does the ending go?

I finished a book last night (the Steve Jobs biography, if you're interested).  It's such a great feeling to finish something.  Why then do I so often start things that I don't finish?

I do all the "right" things: Write down my goals.  Set small milestones.  Keep my lists in front of me to keep me motivated, etc.  It doesn't work.  None of it works.  I think I finally figured it out.

I make all of my lists based on what needs done, but I lose interest when I lose sight of why I should do it (Why did you start dieting?  Why did you start on your business plan?  Why did you join that team?).

I'm going to try something new the next time I start something.  Before making any of my "what lists", I'm going to write my "why list".  Why am I starting and why should I finish?  That way, on those tough days, instead of looking at a to-do list, I can tap back into why my actions are meaningful.

To-do lists are boring, but "why lists" remind us why the things we do are valuable.