Thursday, February 9, 2012

Dare I say it?

I read a book by the man who ultimately became famous in the U.S. for creating MAXIM magazine (he was famous in Europe long before that).  He's rich.  Actually, he's REALLY rich.  In the book he tells of living in a nearly abandoned apartment with his phone being the only utility that hadn't been shut off.  He was literally breaking his furniture into pieces and burning them for heat while watching his girlfriend leave him for his best friend that had "a real job."

You see, the reason Felix Denis is rich is not because he was luckier than I am.  It is because he was willing to sacrifice more than I am.  He was willing to risk more than I am.  He was willing to be uncomfortable more than I am.  But, for me to admit that he earned his wealth, I also have to admit that I'm not willing to follow his scarcely trodden path.

This post isn't about wealth.  It's about anything worth working for.  When you see someone that has a nice car, a nicer lawn, a devoted wife, respectful children or a stronger faith, it's most likely because they were willing to put in the work to make that happen.

Yes, it's easier to pretend they are just luckier.  But dare I say, the truth is that they probably worked harder.  

The good news for you and me is that there is nothing stopping us from working just as hard!