Monday, February 13, 2012

Why don't you care?

What is it about politics that turns us off?  (I know, I know... stay with me.)

I would say it's the drama, but Snooki is way too popular for that to be true.

I would say it's the feeling that we're being lied to, but we put up with that in our daily lives from friends, family, etc. and continue allowing them into our lives.  We don't typically give up when we get lied to... we get angry.

I would say it's because politics are boring, but we sit and read Facebook statuses all day long that say things like, "Just got a new pair of shoes!"  Seriously?  We're not easily turned off by the mundane.

The only thing that I can think is that we feel like we can't make a difference.

I'm concerned that this feeling of helplessness will bleed over into our family relationships.  We work so hard to teach our kids that they can make a difference when we don't believe that we can.  Before we can fix our country, our kids, our relationships, our faith, etc. we have to be aware of the shortcomings that we have.  Mainly, the self-imposed ones.  The limits that we put on ourselves that no one else does.

Believe that you can make a difference, because, quite frankly, you can.  But only if you believe it.