Thursday, September 1, 2011

Are you steering?

I have to admit that I spend (or "waste", depending on your opinion) a little time every day reading through Facebook status updates.  I've recently recognized a theme that breaks my heart a little bit.  I see so many people whose attitude is a direct reflection of their current circumstances.  Unfortunately, we can't always control our circumstances.

The reason that this way of living life is hard for me to watch through the window of Facebook, is that I've been there... not so long ago.  I know the feeling of waking up every day with the anticipation of things gone wrong and the dismay that will linger throughout the day when they do.

I have good news...

I've found a better way.  I've found consistency.  My circumstances no longer drive my attitude.  My attitude now drives the way that I respond to (and create) my circumstances.  For me, this consistency is my faith.  Not the plastic faith that I pretended to cling to for so long, but a real relationship with my God.

I'm also finding inspiration in others that share a similar faith and whose circumstances do NOT define their attitude.  Check out this guy.... he amazes me every day in the way that he responds to his circumstances (I apologize if his profile is private).

So, here is the challenge.  Find a rock.  Find consistency.  "Circumstance" is a horrible driver so take the wheel back and start steering.