Friday, September 30, 2011

Are you helping? Really.

I'm a Facebook addict that is currently in denial. When I'm going through my daily Facebook ritual, I often come across these posts that say something like, "Change your Facebook profile pic to your favorite cartoon character for a week to raise awareness of child abuse."

When faced with critical issues like child abuse, I don't think the problem is lack of awareness; it's lack of action. It makes us feel good to "help" by getting involved. But that Facebook icon does nothing to help the abused child.

Let's try this approach.  The next time we see one of those posts, instead of doing what they ask, do something relevant.  Go to a site like www.themochaclub.org or www.komen.org and do something that truly helps.  Because in the end, it's not about us feeling like we helped.  It's about truly helping.