Monday, September 26, 2011

We're not backing down

Everyone has their thing.  Everyone, if pushed far enough, will take a stand on something.  What is it for you?

At what point do you say, "I'm not backing down because I believe in this."  Is it your family's health?  Is it education?  Exercise?  Poverty?  Violence?

I can tell you what one of mine is.  The current state of the youth in our community.  We have one of the highest (if not the highest) number of teens living below the poverty line in the entire state.  And I'm tired of it.

I'm tired of seeing kids that don't believe that they were created to do something great.  I'm tired of seeing entire communities that have no hope of giving their children a better life than they have.  I'm tired of adults in the community complaining about the violence and doing absolutely nothing about it.  I'm tired of seeing more new sidewalks in our city than new programs to keep kids off the streets.  I'm tired... but I'm not backing down.

As some of you may know, we started a mixed martial arts clothing line called Crucifix MMA a little over a year ago.  We're not starting to take our next steps.  We're planning to start an inner-city gym that is free for the community youth.  A gym that is a safe place for kids to come and learn that they are more than just another statistic.  They are loved.  They are beautiful.  They are brilliant.  They were created to do something great.  And they are needed.

We are going to tell them the truth.  And we're not backing down.

In the next few months, we'll let you know ways that you can partner with us.  In the meantime, figure out what you stand for and don't back down.