Thursday, August 18, 2011

Sad but true...

Someone I went to high school with was shot and killed this week in a small town near where I grew up.  The emotion was flowing on Facebook from all of those that knew him... friends, family, acquaintances.  So sad and senseless.

After reading some of those heartfelt messages, I started thinking about how many of those kind, beautiful, uplifting words were spoken to him while he was still breathing.  I hope he heard a lot of them.

I think we often make two big mistakes when it comes to the people we care about (I make a lot more than that, but we'll save those for another blog):

  1. We assume that they know how we feel because we know how we feel, and
  2. We don't take the time and energy to put our feelings into well thought-out words to express our true emotions.
We tend to drastically underestimate the effect that kind words and true love have on a person's life.  Start small.  Be creative.  Tell someone close to you that you love them... TODAY.