Thursday, March 8, 2012

It will affect you whether you believe it or not

I know that many of you won't enjoy this post, but it's important.  Not to me.  Well, not just to me.  But to our families, our friends and most importantly our children.

We, in America, tend to think that politics don't affect us (probably because we're disgusted by the whole process).  I have some bad news for you.  They do.  The people we elect will create laws that directly affect us, and more so our children.  When I hear someone say, "Politics don't interest me", I wonder if they realize the impact of that statement.  I may not be "interested" in whether or not my house is on fire.  That doesn't mean that it won't affect me.

So, I have a favor to ask of you.  Three favors, actually:
  1. Please vote.  It really does matter.  If you don't believe that, I'd love to hear why.
  2. Please don't make an emotional decision when you vote.  Voting based on emotions is like loving your kids based on logic.  There are some things that just don't work.  We have to look at this thing logically and put our ego and emotions from the past behind us.
  3. Vote for the people that believe to be honest.  Too many times I hear people asking where candidates "stand on the issues."  Quite frankly, I want to know the person's character.  You can have whatever opinion you want on the issues, but if I can't believe what you say your stance means very little.
This post is not political.  I'm not "endorsing" anyone.  I do, however, believe that it's very important for us to realize that our elected officials will affect our future.  Our children are too important to not care about the men and women that will be running our country.

Make it a great day!