Thursday, September 12, 2024

What's this game you're playing?

I've been posting on Facebook more often, which is a dangerous thing to do in the middle of a contentious election year. But hey... I'm a risk-taker. Why not?

On one of my posts, there were some comments that, in my opinion, were nothing more than divisive and meant to anger people. You know... the typical political comments. In my past life when I was more immature (i.e., last election), I would have probably decided to go back and forth with this person until I proved my point, made them see the error of their ways, and understand that I was right.

But earlier this year I asked myself a question.

"What game are you trying to win?"

Personally, I'm trying to win the game of honoring God. I'm trying to win the game of serving my wife and kids well. I'm trying to win the game of building a successful business.

And there are a lot of games I'm not trying to win.

I'm not trying to win the game of pleasing everyone. I'm not trying to win the game of impressing people with buying stuff. I'm not trying to win the game of proving that I'm right.

My answers for the games I'm trying to win won't be the same as yours. It's not important that we have the same answers, but it is important that you have an answer.

So what is it? What game are you trying to win?