Friday, May 11, 2018

The dichotomy of effort and art

My dad taught me quite a few lessons. The most important was the value of hard work.

I don't know anyone that worked harder than my dad to build his business. But, as much as I love my dad, he wasn't an artist.

Sometimes more work is the answer. You need to get that product out the door, finish those reports or catch up on some yard work? Sure. Get out there and do the work.

But when it comes to artistic solutions... solutions that don't have a definitive finish line, it's not about more work.

Let me be more clear. When is a painting finished? When is the conversation with your teenager done? When is that new product design as good as it can be? The answer is whenever you feel that it is.

So if you're feeling a little overwhelmed, first ask yourself whether this is a "more effort" task or an "artistic" one.

If the task is about more effort, schedule it and do it.

But if the task is about art, then it's harder to know when you're done. I would recommend setting a reasonable time constraint. And when the time is up, the project is done. Is it perfect? Nope. But neither is art. It's part of what makes are interesting. It's unique. It has your fingerprints on it and it is difficult to replicate the emotion that went into it.

Effort? Effort is replicable. Art is not.