Tuesday, May 8, 2012

It doesn't matter if you're wet


He was walking to school when I saw him and it was pouring down rain.  He wasn't running.  He wasn't frantic.  He didn't even seem to care that it was raining, so much so that he was carrying his jacket instead of wearing it.

This young man appeared to be about 10-years-old and I realized that I have a lot to learn from him.

He had options.  He could have been running to avoid the rain.  He could have stopped under one of the many business awnings.  He could have been frantic.  He did none of those things.

When I wake up in a storm in my professional or personal life, I don't often handle it as well as this little guy.  I overreact, or try to take shelter and wait for it to pass.  Sometimes I pretend it's not storming by trying my best to find a place to hide.

The difference between this boy and myself was that he never lost sight of his singular goal.  The rain did not in any way divert his focus away from that goal.  He was going to make it to school and whether he was wet when he got there didn't matter.  He was still going to get there.

If you're in the middle of a storm today, don't change your focus.  At some point in your life, you knew what your goal was.  Maybe your goal is to have a strong family.  Maybe it's to start a business.  Maybe it's to reconnect with your kids or an old friend.  Whatever that goal is, ignore the rain.  Keep your focus.  Keep moving forward.

It doesn't matter if you're wet when you get there, just get there.